TNT’s explosive scoring guard Mikey Williams has been ruled out of the Philippine Basketball Association Commissioner’s Cup.
No less than PBA chairman Ricky Vargas made the confirmation just before Sunday’s opening.
“He’s out of the line up,” Vargas said via Viber when asked about the status of Williams, a two-time Finals Most Valuable Player, who also led the Tropang Giga to two titles.
Williams remains in the United States although his contract with the Tropang Giga will run until 2025.
The team played Magnolia during the opener and revved up for the conference by setting up camp at the Inspire Academy in Laguna and is currently competing in the East Asia Super League, a home-and-away event that will be held until March of 2024.
Despite Williams’ blatant disregard of TNT’s policies, Vargas maintains that management doesn’t have any plans of dragging the flashy Filipino-American dribbler to court and would rather implement disciplinary actions.
“There’s no legal action, but disciplinary action as far as the contract will allow us. We have started due process,” Vargas said.
“As much as we will be missing Mikey’s scoring, we just have to do without him. No one is indispensable,” he added.
Last year, Williams pulled out a similar antic when he showed up for training camp late but went on to provide major contributions to TNT’s six-game triumph over Barangay Ginebra in the Governors’ Cup.