Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

SPORTS

Charlo injury postpones Tszyu defense

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Undisputed world super-welterweight boxing champion Jermell Charlo suffered a broken left hand in training and his January showdown with unbeaten Australian Tim Tszyu has been postponed, promoters announced Saturday.

The matchup, which had been set for 28 January at Las Vegas, would have been the first time Charlo defended all four major sanctioning body world crowns after unifying them in May by knocking out Argentina’s Brian Castano.

Charlo broke his left hand in two places, between the pinkie and ring fingers and at the base of the thumb, on Tuesday after landing a punch in sparring at his gym in Houston.

The 32-year-old American visited two doctors and a hand specialist in Houston and his hand was placed in a cast, where it will stay for the next two months. Only then will Charlo begin rehabilitation of the injury, which he must complete before he can resume training for a fight.

“I was sparring and I threw this nice punch and as soon as it landed, I knew something was wrong,” Charlo said. “I felt my hand throbbing right away.”

“I had two X-rays and an MRI to see what was wrong. It showed it was broken in two places. I hate this feeling. My hand will be in a cast for two months. I’m as disappointed as the fans, maybe more, because this was my first chance to defend the undisputed title.”

Charlo, 35-1-1 with 19 knockouts, spoke confidently about being able to handle Tszyu, 21-0 with 15 knockouts, even with the injury.

“The way I am, I would have beaten Tim Tszyu with one hand, but the doctors and the boxing commission won’t allow that,” Charlo said.

“It’s even more dangerous when a lion faces adversity and has to come back to defend the pride. I’ve been training since July, and I’ve been hitting harder than ever, and these are the things that happen when you push yourself to the limits.”

“After my hand heals, I’m coming back stronger than ever to defend my legacy.”

The 154-pound battle remains among the most anticipated fights of 2023, whenever it might happen.

Tszyu, the son of former light welterweight world champion Kostya Tszyu, indicated he would fight a mandatory rival while waiting for Charlo to become healthy once more.

“I’m very disappointed,” Tszyu said. “I felt like the stars aligned for undisputed… but we move on. I’m ready to take on the next mandatory challenger. I’ll be back for Charlo once he is ready and healed.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

SPORTS

Manny Pacquiao knows his time is up. This was the keen observation made by a longtime member of his training team who spent dinner...

ESPORTS

The dynamic duo of Johnmar “OhMyV33nus” Villaluna and Danerie James “Wise” del Rosario is back with a bang after leading Blacklist International to a...

SPORTS

The University Athletic Association of the Philippines will have a full calendar of sports events for Season 85 starting 1 October. UAAP President Fr....

ESPORTS

ECHO has revealed its roster for the upcoming M4 Mobile Legends World Championship to be held 1-15 January 2023 in Jakarta, Indonesia. The seven...

SPORTS

It’s going to be business as usual as the Philippine Basketball Association will not stop its on-court activities when it gives way for the...

SPORTS

It doesn’t look as if newly-crowned Melvin Jerusalem will get the luxury of defending his minimumweight crown against a handpicked rival after the World...

SPORTS

Mitchell, meanwhile, is a six-foot shooting guard frowm Hartford University.

SPORTS

Legendary boxing referee Carlos ‘Sonny’ Padilla was recently inducted into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame. Famous for serving as the third man in...

Copyright © DAILY TRIBUNE