The standoff between Robert Bolick and NorthPort finally came to a close as the prized playmaker signed a short-term deal that will last until the remainder of the Governors’ Cup of the Philippine Basketball Association.
Batang Pier team manager Pido Jarencio confirmed to Daily Tribune that the 27-year-old Bolick had already signed a contract extension that will enable him to see action as early as Friday when they battle Barangay Ginebra San Miguel at the Mall of Asia Arena.
Bolick’s previous contract had already expired last January and various reports have it that he is already packing his bags to play in Taiwan.
But the former San Beda star had a last-minute change of heart that will enable him to finish the season-ending conference with the Batang Pier.
“He will play for us and finish the conference,” said Jarencio, adding that the long break brought by the country’s hosting of the FIBA Basketball World Cup will give them more time to negotiate for a longer contract extension.
“After this conference, the PBA will have a break of four months. A lot of things can happen.”
With Bolick in street clothes, the Batang Pier greatly struggled.
They opened the conference with a 92-122 loss to Converge on 22 January before bowing to Meralco on 26 February, 102-107; NLEX on 28 January, 112-121; and Phoenix on 2 February, 97-108, to stay in the cellar of the team standings.
Now, they are facing a powerhouse side in reigning champion Ginebra but Jarencio is confident now that Bolick is back in action.
“It’s a big help to have him there,” said Jarencio, who coached the Batang Pier last conference.